ups downs and ups in the datacentre

It’s been a mixed bag on the datacentre project, this weekend.

I feel that I’m about half a dozen steps further forward, and have only taken one or two steps back.

But it has been a weekend of problems.

The biggest obstacle to making progress actually took me a while to realise exactly what the problem was.

I had downloaded CentOS 7, as this was to be my operating system and virtualisation agent of choice for the hosting servers.

I’d set aside Saturday as the main day of installation.

I inserted the DVD media containing CentOS 7, and booted up the first server.

The system went through its normal start-up/boot sequences, and I took this opportunity to set the iLO2 config.

Then I set the system language, keyboard language, timezone and country settings.

And then the OS wouldn’t let me go any further because it said I had no storage space.

Except the server had half a terabyte of storage, live and flashing a green light at me.

I ran through the boot cycle five times, and each time the OS said I had no storage, and the flashing green light continued to contradict.

I stepped through the server boot sequence, and sure enough the array controller said there was plenty of storage space.

So I did a google, and you know what?

It turns out that CentOS 7 has a compatibility problem with the HP DL360/G5 array controller.

So I downloaded CentOS 6, and burned that to DVD as an iso.

Some hours later I put the CentOS 6 media in the server DVD drive and booted up.

Success!

After the installation, I ran the yum update command except it wouldn’t run.

I tried several commands for online activity and none of them worked.

A bit more googling told me that by default CentOS 6.5 produces a closed server – unlike CentOS 7, which is the product I’ve been doing all my reading on.

CentOS 6.5 needs to have the eth0 and eth1 ports opened by the root administrator.

I did this, and then ran yum update, and downloaded and installed 79Mb of update packages.

I rebooted the system and then successfully pinged a FQDN or two.

Then I shutdown the server and called it a day.

I had intended to get as far as enabling remote access via SSH, but I haven’t even got in to Firewall rules and Securitisation.

And I know that’s another solid half-day of effort.

I’m guessing another 10 hours to bring just the first server in the cluster, to where I want it.

So that’s next weekend then.

Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *