well that’s very odd (solved in a bizarre way)

I had half an hour of personal downtime last night, so I thought I’d have another bite at the ‘migrate the TLD website and trailing sub-domain blog from Arizona to my state of the art data centre (haaaahahaha) in my lounge.

I’d researched the WSoD problem that WordPress had presented on the previous attempt to migrate the blog (the common fault seemed to be either theme-related or plugin-related), and decided on a cunning course of action:

  • Leave the MariaDB database and associated user that I’d created for the previous migration intact on the NAS
  • Move *all* of the WordPress files/directories that I’d brought over from Arizona to a new temporary directory 
  • Download a vanilla WordPress package
  • Install the vanilla WordPress package in to the blog trailing sub-dir, and see what I got

What I got was the usual WordPress install screen; it prompted me to enter enter the config details for the database and user.

I entered the details as I had configured during the previous attempt, and what I got was a WordPress error message: theme style sheet missing.

I went in to the admin screen, selected and loaded a native WordPress theme, and a native version of WordPress loaded in the blog’s location.

I then downloaded and installed the latest version of the Mantra theme (my preferred theme), and checked that the site loaded.

It did.

I copied back in to the wp-content directory all of the old blog content (but not the themes or plugin sub-dirs) from where I’d moved them in the temporary directory.

And everything worked – the blog loaded in its customised theme/design, and with almost the entire range of content.

Bizarrely, a couple of photos have gone AWOL somehow, but they are in the minority; just about everything else was in place.

The logical explanation is that something went wrong in the migration of content from Arizona to my NAS.

Except it can’t be that simple, because when I hit the problem the other day, I took, and deployed, a second data migration – and hit the same problem.

It was at that point that I backed out of the previous attempt to migrate (a backout plan is always a good thing to have!).

So I’m puzzled as to what may or may not have occurred during the first migration, but I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.

It was a bizarre fix to an unknown problem, but the fix worked.

Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.